Current Jobs at DAPP Zambia
Development Aid from People to People is looking for three qualified and dedicated professionals to take up the position of Provincial Coordinator in a potential partnership involving development of mini irrigation schemes for small holder farmers in Gwembe, Sinazongwe, Chongwe, Rufunsa, Serenje and Chitambo Districts reaching 8,400 farmers directly.
The project aims to develop community level mini-irrigation schemes covering 895 hectares with the overall goal to improve living conditions for rural families through increased and diversified production and improved irrigation. The objective is to contribute to economic growth and poverty reduction by enhancing food, income and nutrition security among participating households.
If approved, DAPP will work closely with the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and Africa Development Bank (AfDB), which will support the project through the provision of funding and technical support.
Duty Station: Central, Southern or Lusaka Province and frequent travel to project sites.
JOB TITLE: PROVINCIAL COORDINATOR MINI IRRIGATION PROJECT
- Overall responsible to achieve the goals of the project in the province.
- Facilitate community mobilization of farmers into working groups
- Assist farmers in registration of legal farmer groups.
- Link farmers to agro-input dealers and micro-financing institutions.
- Facilitate training of farmers in installation, operation and maintenance of the water lifting devices.
- Assist farm groups in planning the layout of the irrigation plots.
- Training of farmers in project implementation at farm level.
- Working with Agriculture Extension Officers, provide general extension services to the farm group members.
- Assist farmers in negotiating favourable markets for their produce.
- Assist farmers in preparation of cropping patterns for the scheme.
OTHER tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinate with the project manager for effective implementation of the mini irrigation activities.
- Supervise Community Extension Officers and other staff.
- Provide regular and follow up support to Farmers’ Clubs activities.
- The Provincial Coordinator will report directly to the Programme Manager.
- At least a Diploma in Agronomy/ Water Engineering from a recognized institute.
- At least two (2) years of professional experience in rural development in an agriculture project of similar nature.
- Experience working with mini irrigation schemes and small scale irrigation farmers.
- Demonstrated and proven management and coordination skills
- Knowledge of and experience in Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) practices
- Knowledge in mini irrigation and water harvesting techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent team player
The position title, i.e. Provincial Coordinator Mini Irrigation Project must be indicated in the email subject area. The cover letter and CV must be one continuous document, and must be saved in Microsoft WORD, using the applicants’ names as the document title. Applicants must state their current, or previous salary and benefits in the application letter.
Applications should be received by 3rd March 2017 (please do not attach certificates and other documentation at this stage)
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.