Internship Opportunity – Quantity Surveying: UNDP – May 2017
Location: Lusaka, ZAMBIA
Application Deadline: 19-May-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 29-May-2017
Duration of Initial Contract: Six months
Expected Duration of Assignment: Six months
The purpose of this Internship is to offer an outstanding student the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to the UN’s work, as well as to assist the Common Services team with the execution of the construction work for the security upgrade of the UN house and UN Annex, and ongoing refurbishment works. It is designed to complement technical and theoretical studies with practical experience in various aspects of Quantity Surveying or Building Science.
The work will involve measurement of executed construction works and evaluate claims made by the contractor to ensure that the projects are carried out in a cost-effective manner. The Intern will also assist in the production of bills of quantities and material schedules for ongoing projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Premises Project Manager, the intern will work closely with the common services team to undertake the following tasks:
- Measurement of executed construction works and evaluating the contractor‘s claims;
- Assist in providing quality control and site reports of ongoing projects;
- Keep track of variations and costs of ongoing projects;
- Produce bills of quantities and material schedules;
- Organise weekly site meetings;
- Any other project related tasks as requested.
Competencies and Values
- Integrity and professionalism demonstrate interest in area of speciality and ability to apply good judgement;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision under the established procedures;
- Demonstrate effective organisational and problem-solving skills to manage large volume of works in an efficient and timely manner;
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask;
- Teamwork and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to operate effectively across organisational boundaries;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations;
- Flexible, hardworking and ready to work for extra hours.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates are not expected to have any previous work experience, however, experience in the following areas is desired:
- Experience in preparation of bills of quantities, valuations and material;
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of construction works;
- Computer proficiency in AutoCAD and all MS office; Excel, word, PowerPoint.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated with the internship must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, etc.;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan and provide a certificate of good health prior to starting the internship;
- Shortlisted applicants must submit the following documents prior to the interview:
- An official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme and specifying the expected graduation date;
- Letter of endorsement from a senior faculty member who has directly supervised the student in the recent past and who is fully acquainted with the student’s performance;
- A copy of current school transcript.