Agricultural Facilitator Wanted at Self Help Africa – Closing 26 August 2017
Position: Agricultural Facilitator
Project: United Nations High Commission for Refugees – Integrated Livelihoods Project (UNHCR –ILP) Graduation Pilot
Responsible To: Project Coordinator
Location: Meheba (1) and Mayukwayukwa (1) refugee settlements
Effective Date: 1st September, 2017
The main responsibilities of the Agricultural Facilitators of the (UNHCR –ILP) Graduation pilot is to mobilize refugee households to effectively participate in agricultural interventions and provide extension services in crop and livestock production so as to sustainably increase household food and income security amongst the target communities. The Agriculture facilitators will be responsible for implementation of project activities at field level and will therefore ensure that there is effective interface between the UNHCR –ILP and the Persons of Concern (PoC) .
2. Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- To provide extension services in crop and livestock production and management amongst targeted households in the refugee communities,
- To mobilise targeted refugee households into Producer Groups to enhance production of identified commodities,
- To promote best practice technologies to produce specific agriculture products which have potential to increase share in the market,
- To carry out extensive field visits to programme operational areas to offer on spot technical support to the smallholder farmers on agriculture development related topics,
- To train lead farmers and targeted households in the refugee communities in various sustainable agriculture techniques,
- To write and submit activity reports on a regular and timely basis, and contribute to project and organisational learning by documenting lessons learned.
- Participate in conducting field assessments to measure progress against project indicators, in collaboration with the project M&E officer and SHA M&E officer
- Participate in learning and knowledge sharing events relevant to the project and
- Liaise with line ministry personnel and other partners in the delivery of project activities and represent SHA with stakeholders, implementing partners, donors and potential funders and beneficiaries
- Participate in programme planning and review meetings
- Implementation of other tasks from time to time as assigned by the Project Coordinator or Head of Programmes.
In order to succeed in this role, it is expected that the applicants must have ;
- Proven experience in promoting soil fertility management and conservation practices for smallholder farmers,
- Demonstrate strong facilitation skills,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and knowledge and understanding of local culture and language of the programme area,
- A valid licence for riding motorbikes
- At least a Diploma in Agriculture from a recognised institution,
- A minimum of 5 years post qualification practical experience in similar projects,
4. Key relationships:
- Project Coordinators for their respective districts
- Enterprise facilitators and Social workers within the UNHCR -ILP
- Camp Extension Officers under the Ministries of Agriculture and Livestock
- External stakeholders including government departments., private sector organisations
5. Area of Responsibility:
- Sustainable agriculture and rural livelihoods improvement
It is expected that the facilitator will:
- Carry out these accountabilities within the operating and process frameworks that apply to the whole of Self Help Africa organisation and to UNHCR.
- Work together with all key stakeholders: line and functional to ensure UNHCR, mission and vision are met.
- Exemplify the Self Help Africa Standards of Integrity, Purpose & Values.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
For Job Descriptions visit the websites indicated above.
Email your applications to [email protected]
Closing Date for Applications: 26 August 2017
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]