The Copperbelt Energy Corporation Plc Job Vacancy in Zambia: Horticulturist
- Company: The Copperbelt Energy Corporation Plc
- Location: Kitwe, Copperbelt Province, Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Copperbelt Energy Corporation Plc (CEC) is an independent power supply, transmission and distribution Company with interests in closely linked businesses, including fibre optic telecommunications, in Zambia and the Sub-Saharan African region.
CEC is inviting applications from suitably qualified, innovative and dynamic individuals to take up the position of Horticulturist (x1) at our Head Office in Kitwe.
The role holder will maintain and sustain the integrity of landscaped areas for the built infrastructure for the company through the establishment of parks, gardens and landscaped areas by propagation, grooming, and maintenance of plants and gardens.
- Establish and maintain high horticultural standards and practices by providing direction and training to subordinate workmen.
- Perform and support horticultural practices that encourage plant and soil nutrition and comply with organic cultivation requirements.
- Maintain inventory of horticultural propagation tools and equipment including supplies and orders for additional materials as needed.
- Arrange for requisition and procurement of plants and other horticultural accessories.
- Undertake garden and parks maintenance activities, including pruning and removal of plants, including planting, watering weeding, disease/pest control and litter rubbish removal
- Advise about tree planting schemes, the design of gardens and landscaping layouts.
- Maintain and manage irrigation, fountains and pond systems.
- Maintain records of work, garden maintenance, and plant health.
- Perform regular and systematic inspections of gardens, lawns, and trees to identify disease problems, weed control needs and escalate major discoveries to the Supervisor – Parks and Gardens.
- Proactively support the management of the departmental budget by effecting appropriate financial and cost management measures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 School Certificate.
- Agriculture Certificate or Diploma in Agriculture Science or Natural Sciences (Horticulture, Agroforestry or Botany).
- 2 years’ minimum experience in a similar role.
- Accreditation to professional agricultural or natural science body.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainable gardening and integrated pest management practices.
- Proficiency in the use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and machinery used in the maintenance of turf and other horticultural works.
- Proven knowledge of various plant species and methods of tendering and management of plants.
- Expert knowledge of various chemicals used in botanical processes as well as control of herbs and pests.
- Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden details and aesthetics.
- Ability to maintain working relationships with superiors and subordinates.
- Strong communication skills.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers.
- High degree of public relations as the job involves interfacing with internal and external customers.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding career opportunity being offered, kindly email your application to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your e-mail and use your full name and the job title as the filename of your application (e.g., KalufyanyaJilowa_Horticularist). The application should consist of your letter and CV only, in a single document. Hard copy applications will not be accepted. The closing date is Wednesday, 31 January 2018.
- Applicants are requested to provide contact telephone numbers.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The successful applicants will be required to take up the appointments immediately.