Development Officer Job – Agriculture [2 positions] – Care Zambia
CARE is an International Non-Governmental relief and development organization, dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice with a special emphasis on women and girls. CARE International Zambia has vacancies available under the Southern African Nutrition Initiative (SANI) Project. This is a Five-year Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) funded project (2016 – 2020) whose overall goal is to improve the nutritional status of women of reproductive age (15-49 years) and children under 5 years. The project is expected to contribute directly to the improved health of approximately 77,884 women, children and men directly, and over 361,112 individuals indirectly. SANI project will contribute to increased global impact on reducing child and maternal malnutrition through integration of strategies that will enhance infant and young child feeding (IYCF) and maternal nutrition practices; food security; water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH); women’s empowerment; Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST)/Community led Total sanitation (CLTS) and, maternal health.
CARE International in Zambia under its DFATD funded SANI Project is seeking to recruit qualified and experienced staff for the following position:
Job Title: Development Officer – Agriculture (2 positions -1 Mpika and 1 Shiwa Ng’andu)
The Development Officer will be responsible for facilitating the planning, implementation and monitoring of all community based field activities and ensure direct liaison with Ministries of Health, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Community Development, Local Government, Housing and Water Affairs at community level. S/he will have strong expertise in food and nutrition or health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and will work closely with field based staff from the line ministries. S/he will also be responsible for providing technical support to community based agents and partner staff to strengthen their capacity for planning and implementation of community level activities on agriculture and food security to targeted communities and households in Mpika and Shiwa Ng’andu districts of Muchinga Provinces.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community level agriculture and food security activities in direct liaison with Ministries of Health, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Community Development and Local Government and Housing in the community.
- Strengthen the capacity of farmer groups, households of Women of reproductive age (WRA) group, Community Agents and community based staff from the Ministries of Health, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Local Government and Housing and Community Development in planning and delivery of health and food and nutrition, in targeted communities and households.
- Work with the District Coordinator and M&E Officer to oversee implementation of community level M&E processes and ensure timely data collection, analysis and reporting at district level.
- Facilitate formation of farmer groups and nutrition coordinating committees at community level
- Work with farmer groups and Households of WRA to roll out Climate smart agriculture technologies in target communities
- Ensure compliance with CARE and donor policies, criteria and procedures with respect to project implementation at community level
- Fielding and exploring problematic issues arising from project activities at community level; conferring with project stakeholders and providing direct advocacy, training, mentoring and assistance as required.
- Representation of the Project at community foras such as Ward Nutrition Coordination Committee (WNCC) and any other relevant community meetings on Agriculture / Food security, including agricultural shows and field days.
- Facilitate community meetings on Agriculture, and food security with farmer groups ,household members, and field based partner staff at community level
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Diploma in Agriculture from a recognized university or institution with strong expertise in agriculture and food security with a minimum of 3 years working experience in a similar position.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in implementing and/or delivery of Agriculture and Food security, WASH, economic empowerment related activities
- Proven experience with practical and impactful gender equity and women’s empowerment approaches to development and humanitarian action.
- Added advantages include:
- Experience working in or with government
- Experience working with communities and grass root organizations
- Experience working in an international non-governmental organization
- Good facilitation and participatory methodology skills
- Computer literate, including word processing and excel/spreadsheets
- Experience in People management
- Resident of Mpika or Shiwa Ng’andu
- Valid Motorcycle Riding license
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Suitably qualified and interested Mpika and Shiwang’andu residents are invited to apply. Application letters accompanied by detailed CVs, with day time telephone numbers should be sent to:
Director – Program Support Services, CARE International in Zambia, Plot 9, Chitemwiko Close, Kabulonga, P.O. Box 36238, LUSAKA;
Or to [email protected]
Closing Date: Friday, 18th November, 2016