European Union Delegation to Zambia Job Vacancy: Secretary
- Company: European Union Delegation to Zambia
- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Secretary Jobs in Zambia
The European Union Delegation to Zambia is looking for a Secretary
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA:
- Ensures the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Zambia and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA);
- Ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
- Ensures the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
- Promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU;
- Coordinates the work of the Member States’ Embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade and external assistance;
- Ensures the tasks of the EU Presidency and carries out CFSP demarches as appropriate;
- Reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
- Carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above;
- Ensures the multi-annual programming of aid and the management of programmes and devolved projects within the framework of the external aid instruments of the EU Budget and the European Development Fund in line with the Communication “Increasing the impact of EU Development Policy: an Agenda for Change”.
We offer a post of Secretary. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under the supervision of the Head of Economics, Rural Development and Regional Cooperation section, to assist the Head of Section and the Programme Officers in all administrative, technical and logistical day to day activities of the section, and in particular:
- File and archive of project documents and maintain electronic and physical filing system;
- Contribute to communication activities;
- Prepare routing slips for contracts, addenda, financing agreements, correspondence, etc.;
- Register incoming and outgoing correspondence according to the provisions of the internal systems and IT tools and the section chrono-filing system;
- Type and dispatch correspondence by ensuring the efficient use of software and its features;
- Collect and prepare the section mail for the diplomatic pouch;
- Schedule appointments and arrange for meetings for the Head of section and other section members;
- Photocopy, scan and bind documents and reports;
- Encode entries accurately and comprehensively in internal IT systems and tools and regular updates/review of input data;
- Assist the section in the organisation of publich events;
- Assist other sections when secretaries are on leave;
- Set-up and update of contact data base in Outlook;
- Newspaper assessment and cutting of relevant articles related to the section;
- Attend to any other assignments as and when required by the Head of Section.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
We look for a candidate who is a self-starter, motivated, able to work under pressure, able to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team, respects deadlines, is committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties, shows initiative and responsibility, able to deal with stress situations, is pro-active, flexible and discreet.
In addition the Candidate must meet the following minimum requirements:
Education and training:
- High School certificate.
- At least three years of secretarial experience/administrative assistance.
Specialist Knowledge (know what)
- Solid administration/secretarial knowledge.
Technical knowledge (know how)
- Computer literate (knowledge of Word processor, Excel, spreadsheet, databases, PowerPoint, internet, etc.)
- Can operate office equipment such as fax, scanner, photocopying machine, etc.
- Linguistic skills
- Very good command of theEnglish language; both oral and written
- Communication skills
- Capacity to communicate clearly, presenting complex matters in an understandable manner, both orally and in written form.
- Ability to develop contact and to communicate confidently with colleagues and important external contacts.
- Team work skills
- Ability to support in building cooperative working relationships with other sections.
- Ability to identify and analyse key points in verbal and numerical information and to evaluate alternatives objectively.
- Capability to clearly and effectively process and put into action ideas and approaches.
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to deliver duties timely.
- High sense of responsibility
Good organisational skills
- Given a task and a deadline, able to work and complete task in an independent manner, without constant supervision
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
- Commitment to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties
Initiative and responsibility
- teamwork ability
- high flexibility
- honesty and discretion
Will be regarded as an asset:
- Familiarity with EDF financial procedures;
- Knowledge of French;
- Experience within an International Organisation;
- Experience within a Diplomatic mission.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents by e-mail to:
Mentioning in the subject line: “Vacancy: Secretary – Economics, Rural Development and Regional Cooperation section”
The application message should include a cover letter, a detailed CV with at least two traceable relevant business referees and scanned copy of relevant qualifications.
The selected candidate should be able to provide the original documents of the required educational and professional experience.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Any query concerning this procedure should be sent to the above-mentioned e-mail address.
Closing date for receiving applications with the relevant supporting documents is:
22/12/2017 at 12:00 hrs
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Interested parties that do not fulfil the minimum requirements should NOT apply.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]