New Job Vacancies at Fintrac Zambia: Agriculture Technical Lead
- Company: Fintrac
- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
Fintrac is seeking an Agriculture Technical Lead (Smallholder/Livelihood Expert) for the anticipated USAID/Zambia Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance (SUNTA) Activity. This six-year, $50-100 million project will integrate agriculture, nutrition, and water and sanitation with the objective of reducing stunting by 12% in 30 districts. This position will be based in Lusaka.
The Agriculture Technical Lead will oversee the implementation of smallholder agronomy and livelihood activities as and give guidance on how they will be implemented to achieve results. This position will be responsible for sectoral leadership in agronomy. In this capacity, s/he is responsible for transferring production and post-harvest technologies to vulnerable smallholder farmers and adapting climate-smart good agricultural practices (GAPs) and technology packages for target crops to increase the amount of nutritious foods available for households in the targeted districts.
The minimum qualifications for the Agriculture Technical Lead are:
- Master’s degree in agriculture/agronomy, horticulture, or related field of study;
- At least 7 years of experience in agricultural production, with specific knowledge of Zambian agriculture;
- Demonstrated progressive experience in providing technical expertise to host government(s) for the areas of agriculture and livelihood activities that focus on household and community levels;
- Previous management experience for USAID-funded projects in agriculture, agribusiness development and/or food security. Equivalent leadership positions for other donors and/or initiatives will be considered;
- Experience successfully transferring production and post-harvest technologies to smallholder farmers;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates;
- Knowledge of production practices and experience with maize;
- Knowledge of production practices for nutrient-dense, protein-rich crops such as groundnuts, soy, cow pea, pigeon pea, orange maize, orange flesh sweet potato, and African indigenous vegetables highly desirable;
- Familiarity with nutrition sensitive and climate smart agriculture concepts highly desirable;
- Experience in designing or managing sustainable agricultural production systems is preferred;
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of local languages preferred;
- Qualified Zambian candidates will be given preference.