First Quantum Minerals Job Vacancy in Zambia: Safety Officer
- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job Category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is an established and growing mining and metals company currently operating four mines and developing projects worldwide. Our aim is to become a globally diversified mining and metals company.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We currently produce copper cathode, copper in concentrate, nickel, gold and sulphuric acid.
First Quantum’s current operations are the Kansanshi copper-gold mine in Zambia, the Guelb Moghrein copper-gold mine in Mauritania, the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE mine in Finland and the Ravensthorpe nickel-cobalt mine in Australia.
When our current projects are in operation, we expect we will be able to triple our annual copper production capacity and be positioned within the world’s 10 largest copper producers.
Sentinel is the first mine to be developed at the Trident project in the North Western Province of Zambia. The project comprises five large-scale mining licenses and the significant geological potential exists for expansion of operations, including the Enterprise nickel mine announced in December 2012. First Quantum is investing US$1.725-billion at the Sentinel mine and construction remains on time and on budget. Plant commissioning will commence in mid-2014 and copper production is expected to reach 280 – 300,000 tonnes per annum.
- Ensure that management and Supervisors are actively involved in the implementation of Safety Management Plan.
- Oversee and review safety performance site crews and contractors.
- Undertake regular safety audits and inspections.
- Investigate and report on hazards, near misses, incidents and injuries.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Ensure compliance to all legal appointments.
- Contribute to a safety-focused culture through the provision of health, safety and environment.
- Coach employees, supervisors in relation to Occupational Health and Safety processes.
- Hold Regular Safety Meetings.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Safety Officers Certificate Levels 1 and 2 (Diploma from recognized institute will be highly regarded)
- Risk assessment certificate
- Accident and Incident investigation skills (Tap root / ICAM)
- Knowledge of OSHAS 18001
- Candidate should be outgoing and enthusiastic.
- Should have clean drivers licence
- Computer literate
- Fluency in English, and Kaonde will be desireable
- Should have a proactive approach and sound knowledge of OHS applications along with excellent communication both written and oral
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Must have extensive experience in in Construction and Projects
- At least 2 years experience in the Mining industries