First Quantum Minerals Job Vacancy in Zambia: Senior Supervisor- Mechanical Utilities
- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Solwezi, Northwestern Province, Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Co-ordinate all the maintenance activities in his/her section
- Develop, formulate and continuously review the targets for the mechanical department to achieve the business objectives and manage the performance results to achieve the targets and plans in the area of his appointment
- Review the ordering of all mechanical spares procured with the objective of eliminating the risk of operational downtime in case of equipment/component failure
- Manage the mechanical department in effectively assisting the Area Mechanical superintendent in the commissioning of equipment
- Assist the mechanical superintendent in the maintenance and enforcement of systems that are in place
- Oversee and monitor the planning and execution of the mechanical discipline for the routine smelter maintenance shutdowns in his/her area
- Carry out Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA’s) for repetitive breakdowns in order to eliminate the root causes
- Manage all mechanical resources to ensure strict adherence to sound management principles for the effective and efficient execution of maintenance activities to achieve maximum plant availability at the lowest practically achievable cost.
- Assist in the reviewing and documenting the mechanical engineering discipline strategy for alignment to the business objective.
- Effectively enforce cost control measures in the section in order to sustain the business
- Provide training and development opportunities for all direct reporting personnel on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on Zambian employees
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor
- Must have a G12 Certificate
- Preferred Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized Institution
- Must be a member of the EIZ
- Preference will be given for experience as an Engineer in the smelting and concentrator operations for at least 3 years
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology in Multistage turbine and screw air compressors, Low pressure Centrifugal Compressors, HFO and Diesel Fuel Distribution Systems, Water treatment plants, Pumps, Cooling towers and maintenance of sewerage infrastructure and general buildings.
- Experience in crusher and conveying systems will be an added advantage
- Project and People Management Skills a must and should have managed a maintenance team before.
- Knowledge of welding and NDT techniques is required
- Knowledge of international standard codes of Engineering practices such as ASME, API, DIN, ISO
- Teamwork and self-motivated
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- standby work where required
- Exposure to dust and heat