Graduate Geologist Jobs Currently Available at Barrick Gold Corporation
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Mine Geologist
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi-staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Graduate Geologist
Reporting to the Mine Geologist, you will participate on a daily basis in the ore control activities i.e. attending meetings, ore block design, ore block mark outs, dilution control and production reporting. The successful candidate must also ensure that the planned feed grade material is delivered to the process plant as well as coordinate drilling, sampling and the collection of geological data. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure that ore blocks are optimally designed to minimise ore loss and dilution.
- Ensure all ore block mark-ups are checked against the ore block design plan.
- Communicate clearly with mine supervisors to make sure that ore is being mined according to company standards.
- Ensure that the ore design procedures are correctly followed and all ore block data is being managed correctly.
- Ensure the Vulcan grade control block model is being correctly flagged and updated with mineable blocks at the end of each month. Know-how to evaluate and report minable blocks against the reserve model and report.
- Ensure all production reconciliations (mineable block to model, ore block planned to actual, crusher feed to plant etc.) are carried out on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis and disseminated to all designated staff. The appropriate actions are being communicated to rectify any reconciliation issues.
- Ensure that all geological technicians are correctly managing the collection of all geological data i.e. sampling (gamma logger and met) and mapping.
- Ensure that data is evaluated and make recommendations on how to improve the feed grade, maximise recovery and throughput in the process plant.
- Ensure that geological technicians are complying with their daily responsibilities i.e. refresh ore mark-up tapes, mark ups are clear, communicating clearly with mine supervisors, supervising sampling, mapping and ore spotting requirements.
- Ensure that modular daily material movement’s data is checked and updated before the daily report is sent by the dispatch engineer each morning.
- Maintain open and clear communication channels with the metallurgists to ensure ore characteristic information i.e. grade, hardness, recovery, upgrade factors, etc for feed material is being shared to improve recoveries and throughputs.
- Ensure that blast holes are being correctly identified and sampled and that gamma logging is performed according to the procedure in areas identified.
- Provide input or feedback to weekly and monthly schedules.
- Assist in preparation of the production geology weekly and monthly report
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Degree in Geology
- Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia
- Minimum 1-year experience in mining geology associated with large open cut mines.
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilising large scale mining equipment.
- Self-motivated, high level of commitment and goal oriented
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications. Able to exhibit proficiency in standard mining software i.e. Vulcan, Datamine or Micromine. Database applications i.e. AcQuire, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Office Suite
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and/or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks