Internship Opportunity – Civil Engineering
Location: Lusaka, ZAMBIA
Application Deadline: 19-May-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 29-May-2017
Duration of Initial Contract: Six months
Expected Duration of Assignment: Six months
The purpose of this Internship is to offer an outstanding student the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to the UN’s work, as well as to assist the Common Premises and Services team with the execution of construction work for the upgrade and refurbishment of UN premises located in Zambia. It is designed to complement technical and theoretical studies with practical experience in various aspects of structural and civil engineering.
The work will involve assisting in the supervising of civil and structural works as well as be contributing to the structural design of other ongoing projects, daily supervision of site works and reporting of daily proceedings at the designated site.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Premises Project Manager, the Intern will work closely with the common services team to undertake the following tasks:
- To support the supervision and monitoring on a daily basis in coordination with the contractor the civil and structural works to be carried out at the UN house and Annexe premises and other sites as required;
- To assist in providing quality control, and reporting of the civil and structural works to be carried out at the UN house and Annexe premises;
- To contribute to the daily progress reports of the construction works;
- To contribute to the structural design of ongoing and planned projects;
- Any other civil works related tasks as needed.
- Integrity and professionalism demonstrate interest in area of speciality and ability to apply good judgement;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision under the established procedures;
- Demonstrate effective organisational and problem-solving skills to manage large volume of works in an efficient and timely manner;
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask;
- Teamwork and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to operate effectively across organisational boundaries;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations;
- Flexible, hardworking and ready to work for extra hours.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must have graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Structural or Civil Engineering within the last year or must be currently enrolled in a Master’s programme in Structural or Civil Engineering.
Candidates are not expected to have any previous work experience, however, experience in the following areas is desired:
- Demonstrated experience in supervision of civil and structural works;
- Ability to verify and produce structural drawings;
- Computer proficiency in Prokon /Revit structures, AutoCAD and all MS office.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated with the internship must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, etc.;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan and provide a certificate of good health prior to starting the internship;
Shortlisted applicants must submit the following documents prior to the interview:
- An official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme and specifying the expected graduation date;
- Letter of endorsement from a senior faculty member who has directly supervised the student in the recent past and who is fully acquainted with the student’s performance;
- A copy of current school transcript.
Click Here To Apply