Internship Opportunity In Social Protection: ILO Zambia
- Company: International Labour Organisation Zambia
- Vacancy No: ROSTER/INTERNSHIP/2018/1/23
- Title: 23. INTERNSHIP IN SOCIAL PROTECTION – LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
- Contract type: Internship
- Duration of contract: 3-6 months
- Date: Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 24 January 2018 (7 day(s) until closing deadline)
- Organization unit: RO- AFRICA
- Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
The ILO values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, particularly those with disabilities and from non – or under-represented member States. If needed, reasonable accommodation will be provided in the recruitment phase as well as during the internship to promote equality of opportunities.
You are applying to the ILO generic internship roster, which is published twice per year. The roster will be made available to all departments which will then select and directly contact suitable candidates only.
**Please note that only maximum three applications for the current Internship Roster (2018/1) are accepted. If you apply to more than three internship profiles, your application will not be considered for any profiles.**
It is highly recommended that you submit your application as soon as possible to avoid last-minute technical glitches or delays. Late application will not be considered.
ILO Internship Programme provides an opportunity for young talent to:
(a) increase understanding of relevant issues at the international level by involving them directly in the work of the Office and the application of ILO principles, programmes and strategies;
(b) gain practical work experience with the ILO directly related to their field of studies.
The internship programme is not intended to lead to a career in the ILO. There should be no expectation of further employment at the end of the internship.
Please only apply for an internship if you fulfil the following two criteria:
(1) You have no close relative serving in the ILO.
(2) This is your first internship with the ILO (only one internship is permitted).
ILO internships start on the 1st or 15th of any month for a minimum duration of three months and a maximum duration of six months.
Description of Duties
Monthly Stipend amount per country in local currency = K 2, 904.90 (US$ 300 – based on the current US dollar rate for October 2017).
Social Protection Department, CO-Lusaka
In the context of the UN Joint Programme of Social Protection for Zambia, the intern will contribute, as part of and with the support of the CO-Lusaka social protection team, to supporting the government and social partners on matters of social protection policy and strategy reform. The intern will support technical experts in the team on different areas of the portfolio (including social protection coordination, extension of social security to the informal economy, social protection and disability, social protection financing) by undertaking background research, drafting communication and information material, participating and documenting outcomes of technical seminars, meetings and discussions, contribute to monitoring programme workplan and reporting..
As an intern in the Social Protection team CO-Lusaka, you will be exposed to a whole range of areas such as social protection coordination, social assistance, an extension of social security to the informal economy, maternity and health protection, social protection and disability, social protection financing.
You would be gaining experience in working with specialists who are involved in the following tasks: supporting the government in the development of social protection policy, programme and implementation frameworks, monitoring and evaluation of social protection initiatives, advocacy, communication and outreach, capacity development of government and social partners on social protection issues.
Interns should expect to devote 10% to 20% of their time to administrative tasks.
- BA or equivalent degree on social sciences.
- The candidate should be enrolled in their final year of a graduate degree programme or should have completed such a programme no longer than 1 years ago.
- E.g. any relevant work experience and knowledge of IT would be an advantage.
- Working oral and written knowledge of English.
- Adaptable to an international, multicultural and multilingual environment, good communication skills and be able to work in a team.
How to apply:
You need to submit both:
i) the ILO online application form, and ii) a cover letter which explains why you are interested in the particular roster you are applying for and indicates your availability (e.g. proposed start date and latest possible end date).
1. Login ILO eRecruitment system, complete your profile and click “Submit my application for this vacancy:”
2. Go to “My Application” Section while you are still logged in to the system:
3. Click “ADD” under “Covering letter” to the roster to which you have just applied:
4. Type the title and your covering letter. Click “SAVE CHANGES.”
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. At the very last stage of applying for the roster, you will be asked to answer several screening questions.
**Once the application is submitted, it will not be possible to make any modifications, such as, deleting your application(s) or changing answers to the screening questions.**
The more you can be specific about what you are interested in, the easier it will be for the departments to match their needs with your profile. To avoid technical issues please do not wait until the last moment to submit your application.
Following a first screening by the Human Resources Development Department (HRD), hiring departments will short-list applicants. You will be directly contacted by them should an internship match your specific profile.
If you have not been contacted by any department within six months after your application, you can consider that your profile has not been picked by any department for this roster. Departments will use the roster for internships until the next one opens in six months.