Latest Job Vacancies at Community Technology Development Organization
The following posts will be available within Community Technology Development Organization (formerly Community Technology Development Trust).
1. Position: Seed Production Expert
Duration: +1 year
The responsibilities of the Seed Production Expert are to set up a profitable and sustainable Farmer Seed Enterprise (FSE) in collaboration with CTDT and Oxfam Novib. The Seed Production expert will play a key role in designing and implementing the business model, business plan and marketing strategy of a new farmer seed enterprise. The expert will also develop and oversee the seed production training of contract (small holder) farmers.
• Oversee the development of a farmer seed enterprise
• In line with ongoing marketing and production studies:
– Assess the existence of sustained demand of quality small grain seed by type in agro-ecological regions for which they are suitable;
– Assess the availability of improved varieties of sorghum, OPV maize, groundnuts;
– Assess the potential of smallholder farmers and their associations to and produce quality seeds on-farm
• Develop and deliver the technical and social framework, methodologies and appropriate tools needed in establishing a seed production enterprise.
• Develop and oversee the training of smallholder seed producer associations to produce seed that meets the Government regulations on seed certification, seed quality.
• Develop and oversee the training of seed producer associations to acquire the requisite entrepreneurial and managerial skills required in seed production, distribution and marketing.
• Identifyequipment needs and infrastructure required to establish a seed production, processing, packaging and storage facility for cereal and small grain legumes.
• Analyse key challenges in producing and marketing high quality seeds and design tools to effectively resolve them.
• Design and run an effective marketing strategy and plan for FSE products
• Provide technical backstopping, capacity building and direct operational support to the farmer seed production enterprises.
• Cooperate with CTDT’s programmes to ensure alignment with relevant government policies and legislation.
Desired qualifications and experience
• A University degree in Agricultural Sciences related to Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
• A minimum 5 years experience in seed production in the commercial seed sector.
• Deep understanding of seed value chain, including formal and informal seed systems in Zimbabwe.
• Seed marketing experience, with proven track record.
• Strong network of seed sector stakeholders including regulators, agro-dealers, extension services, etc.
• Highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated with strong people skills.
• Willingness to travel across the length and breadth of Zimbabwe.
• Fluency in at least two languages including English Language.
2. Position: Finance Manager
Duration: +1 year
The finance manager should set up the financial management of a profitable seed enterprise and manage funds in such a manner as to maximize return on investment while minimizing risk, and while also ensuring that an adequate control structure is in place over the transfer and investment of funds. Further, the finance manager engages in financial analysis in such areas as forecasting, budgeting, engaging in cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance.
1. Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
2. Manage out-sourced functions.
3. Oversee the operations of the finance department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
B. Funds Management
1. Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment.
2. Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements.
3. Use hedging to mitigate financial risks related to the interest rates on the company’s borrowings, as well as on its foreign exchange positions.
4. Maintain banking relationships.
5. Assist in determining the company’s proper capital structure.
6. Arrange for equity and debt financing.
7. Invest funds.
8. Recommend appropriate dividend issuances, based on historical dividend patterns and expected cash flows.
1. Manage the preparation of the company’s budget.
2. Report to management on variances from the established budget, and the reasons for those variances.
3. Assist management in the formulation of its overall strategic direction.
D. Financial Analysis
1. Engage in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the company.
2. Review the performance of competitors and report on key issues to management.
3. Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement.
4. Interpret the company’s financial results to management and recommend improvement activities.
5. Review company bottlenecks and recommend changes to improve the overall level of company throughput.
6. Participate in target costing activities to create products that meeting predetermined price goals.
7. Assist in the determination of product pricing in relation to features offered and competitor pricing.
8. Compile key business metrics and report on them to management.
9. Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis.
10. Create additional analyses and reports as requested by management.
1. Oversee the extension of credit to customers.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, or equivalent professional qualification (CIMA, CIS, ACCA)
• Ten or more years of experience working for a major company or division of a large corporation, ideally in the seed and/or agricultural sector.
• A post graduate degree in business management is necessary but not a requirement.
• Excellent communication skills are essential, particularly in regard to presenting the results of analyses to management.
• Should have an outstanding knowledge of electronic spreadsheets and accounting packages.
Primarily in an office environment but will be expected to travel as needed to the field and branch networks.
HOW TO APPLY
• All applications should be accompanied by certified copies of academic certificates.
• Applications should be submitted to [email protected] or [email protected] no later than Friday 24th June 2016.
• N.B. ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED.