MaryBegg Community Clinic Latest Job Vacancy in Zambia: General Surgeon
- Company: MaryBegg Community Clinic
- Location: Ndola, Copperbelt Province, Zambia
- State: Ndola
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job Category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
POSITION: General Surgeon – (1)
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The surgeon is responsible for delivering a high standard of surgical care before, during or after a surgical procedure in the operating theatre (OT) and in keeping with safe, patient-centered practices and outcomes.
Our surgeon carries out his/her duties professionally, consistently, ethically and in line with international best practice standards. He/she works closely with other multidisciplinary clinicians to provide comprehensive surgical care services at Mary Begg.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Comply with all MBCC standards for delivering high-quality surgical care and where relevant, identify and/or design any surgical practice standards or procedures that are required.
- Follow established surgical technique during surgery that is in keeping with international standards of best practice.
- Provide compassionate, competent and safe surgical care at all times.
- Be responsible for all administrative duties and reporting as directed by the Chief Medical Officer and Clinic/ Hospital Manager.
- Attend regular clinic meetings (with the Chief Medical Officer / Medical Director) and medical committee meetings to report on and discuss issues relating to improvements in anesthetic services and equipment.
- Be available for duty as rostered for normal shifts, on-call shifts (defined as a standby period out of normal clinic hours), weekends and in case of emergencies.
- Ensure that Mary Begg policies and procedures, clinical guidelines and Zambian national regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Together with the theatre nurse in charge of OT, oversee and manage the efficient running of the operating theatre, theatre list, and OT staff, and formulate any plans or protocols to improve the service.
- Manage surgery services, including planning, scheduling and coordination, determination of surgical procedures, and procurement of supplies and equipment.
- Prior to surgery: examine the patient’s physical health; review patient medical history and pre-existing conditions (including medication allergies); order diagnostic tests/scans and laboratory tests; review all test results; discuss the surgical procedure with patients and families, including benefits and risks; discuss the possibility of blood transfusion and obtain necessary patient consent (prior to surgery); make sure surgical procedure consent forms are completed, signed and filed in the patient’s chart; and review the anaesthesia plan.
- Diagnose medical disorders and orthopedic conditions as necessary and provide treatments, such as medicines and surgeries.
- Prescribe or order necessary clinical treatments to prepare the patient prior to surgery, for example, diet restrictions, antibiotics, IV lines/fluids, catheterization etc.
- Position patient on the operating table to promote patient comfort and optimal access during surgery.
- Provide surgical consultation for MBCC patients and surgically assist other doctors or surgeons as directed by the Clinic/Hospital Manager or Chief Medical Officer /Medical Director.
- Ensure that the patient’s pre-operative/intraoperative documentation is complete, accurate, legible and content appropriate.
- Confer with the anesthetist to determine the type of anesthetic and method of administration to effectively perform the surgery and ensure proper pain relief.
- Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the operating theatre.
- Ensure that patients are notified of their test results within 12 hours of receiving results.
- Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the clinic.
- Carry out ward rounds to assess patient progress, as required.
- Assist with appropriate medical assistance and recommendation for patients requiring evacuation services. This will include medical reports, organizing of transfers, monitoring the patient’s condition, advice on appropriate means of evacuation, and monitoring the progress of the evacuation. Be available to escort patients if required.
- Refer patients to medical doctors as required following a surgical procedure and health review.
- Support the clinic/hospital manager with identifying medical equipment, medicines, and consumables that need to be procured for the anesthesia service.
- Promote a culture that is committed to learning from complaints, incidents, audit, research, and development.
- Comply with other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the Chief Medical Officer / Medical Director and/or hospital/clinic manager from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- MMed in general Surgery
- Must have a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB).
- Bachelor of Science in Human Biology (B.Sc. HB).
- Must be registered and licensed with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ).
- Must have at least Two years post graduate experience.
- Excellent Judgement
- Critical thinking
- Problem Solving skills
- Strong Communication skills
- Service minded, time management and Quality care minded.
How to Apply
To apply, Go to: www.marybeggclinic.bamboohr.com/jobs and attached your detailed Curriculum Vitae.
Closing date: 11th January 2019.