Monsanto Zambia Jobs: Foundation Seed and Production Research Scientist
Monsanto is a sustainable agriculture company. We deliver agricultural products that support farmers all around the world.We are focused on empowering farmers—large and small—to produce more from their land while conserving more of our world’s natural resources such as water and energy. We are currently recruiting to fill the following position:
As Product Research Scientist you will be in charge of the implementation and follow up of corn field parent tests and production research trials. This consists in testing all the males and females lines used in seed production in order to provide data and the required analysis. You will promote technical improvement by leading innovating production research to increase yield, seed quality and reliability in order to decrease costs.
- Implementation of the production research program,
- Providing technical support to Seed Manufacturing through production and seed quality improvements improving on reliability
- Managing temporary labor or contracted workers related to running projects
- Establishing the local Production and Research budget each year together with the local Production and Research and Manufacturing Technology Lead,
- Managing expenses in the country to fit with the local production research budget.
- Provide inputs in the planning of the Foundation Seed Production plan as needed
- Successful implementation and execution of the Foundation Seed Production Plan
- To built and sustain a reliable grower base in the best production areas to ensure a consistent supply of high quality and reliable quantity of Foundation Seed.
- To advise and assist the Growers so that they adopt the best production practices to ensure that the best quality of seed supply is ensured as well as quantity.
- Applying Production Research planting and crop management recommendations to ensure that Foundation Seed productions are done with the lowest risk possible in terms of reliability and cost
- Effective communication with Foundation Processing team to ensure that seed are delivered timeously without any loss in quality
- Updating of Foundation Seed Database and other production programs
- Provide regular feedback to Foundation Seed Operations Manager on status of Foundation Seed productions in area
- Bachelor Degree in Agriculture with 5 five years applicable experience
- Preferable Master degree in Agriculture with relevant experience
- Computer skills and proficiency in statistics.
- Capability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues, even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Decision-making and problem solving skills
- Capability to work with people with a team outlook; build high morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Willingness to work in field and processing plant conditions with high noise/dust levels and presence of seed treatment chemicals.
- Fluent in English.