National Director Job Vacancy at Habitat for Humanity International
- Company: Habitat for Humanity International
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job Category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Habitat for Humanity Zambia (HFHZ) is a non-profit, non-governmental housing organization dedicated to the elimination of poverty in Zambia through the housing. HFHZ is affiliated with Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) headquartered in Atlanta – Georgia (U.S.A). Anchored by the conviction that safe and affordable housing provides a critical foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty, HFHZ helps to build: 1) Simple, Affordable housing for Vulnerable Groups; 2) Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) systems to empower and improve the health and living conditions of Vulnerable Groups and Slum Dwellers; 3) Disaster Risk Reduction, Response and Resilience capacity. HFHZ has served 54,000 families throughout the country and has the potential to scale up and make a positive impact on the housing conditions of low-income people.
Purpose of the position:The National Director (ND) provides overall leadership and management of HFHZ and guides the development and implementation of HFHZ strategy. S/he will represent HFHZ vision, mission, and values to all stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization by ensuring resource mobilization, financial, legal and programmatic support/management to staff, volunteers and partners, partnership development and communications. S/he reports to the Board
- Leadership and strategic management
- Operations management
- Compliance management
- People management
- Resource mobilization / Fundraising
- Partnership development
- Relationship management
- Enterprise risk management
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Masters degree in international development, public administration, business administration, housing and urban development, civil engineering and/or social sciences.
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in international development, urban planning, housing development or social sciences, relevant to human settlement and community development in Zambia and/or Southern Africa.
- At least 5-year experience in a senior management position in an international organization.
- Experience in acquiring and managing large scale grants/projects (USD 2M+) and compliance with diverse donor requirements (USAID, DFID, UN agencies, etc.).
- The demonstrable network of contacts with a proven track record of building partnerships with stakeholders, including government bodies, donors, corporate entities, other NGOs/INGOs and bilateral donors.
- Knowledge of housing issues in Zambia and affordable housing solutions.
- Experience in developing organizational strategies and translating these strategies into effective implementation plans.
- Proven experience in leading and managing staff, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring and performance assessment.
- Demonstrated financial management competence, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts.
- Experience in program and project management, including knowledge monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and public speaking skills, with an emphasis on cross-cultural sensitivity and diplomacy.
- High proficiency in English (written and spoken).
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally.
- Understanding and/or experience in developing micro-finance initiatives.
- Experience and skills in developing government relationships for policy change.
- Experience of working with / development of boards of directors.
- Experience and/or knowledge of fundraising.
- Understanding and/or experience in public relations.
- Understanding and/or experience with construction or large-scale infrastructure projects.