New UNICEF Job Vacancy in Zambia: Senior Consultant (International), Social Accountability
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Zambia
This will be an exciting 6 months assignment to be based in Lusaka with in-country travel. The purpose of this consultancy is to: a) To develop a Social Accountability programme document (PD) for the DFID/GRZ/UN Joint RMNCAH&N Programme. The PD will include (but not limited to), a situation analysis, theory of change, results framework/ log-frame and a monitoring, evaluation and research plan to guide the quality assurance/ management during programme implementation phase. b) Internally for UNICEF, to develop a risk management framework that will enable the Section Chief, Health & Nutrition and senior management within UNICEF to deploy optimal resources (human, financial, and others) to maximize the potential to meet the goals of the Joint Programme.If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.Purpose of the AssignmentThe Main Objectives Of This Consultancy Are
- To develop a Social Accountability programme document (PD) for the DFID/GRZ/UN Joint RMNCAH&N Programme. The PD will include (but not limited to), a situation analysis, theory of change, results framework/ log-frame and a monitoring, evaluation and research plan to guide the quality assurance/ management during programme implementation phase.
- Internally for UNICEF, to develop a risk management framework that will enable the Section Chief, Health & Nutrition and senior management within UNICEF to deploy optimal resources (human, financial, and others) to maximize the potential to meet the goals of the Joint Programme.
Assignment TasksUnder The Guidance Of The Section Chief, Health & Nutrition And The Staff From UNICEF Health And Nutrition Section, The Consultant Is Expected To Perform The Following Tasks
- Conduct a desk review of relevant policies (Health Policy, national Planning and Budget Policy, Decentralization Policy and Implementation Plan etc.) and relevant background documentation on social accountability in health sector in Zambia and countries of similar context;
- Conduct selected interviews with stakeholders, MoH officials, and officials of relevant ministries, CSO/NGO partners, UN and other cooperating partners (donor community);
- Conduct field visits to engage with provincial, district and community level stakeholders;
- Draft, and finalise after comments, a concept note, for UNICEF approval, of a programme with the goal of enhancing social accountability in RMNCAH&N programme;
- After approval of the concept note, and in constant consultation with national partners, draft a Social Accountability programme document for 2018-2021;
- Draft, and finalise after comments, the key performance indicators for the programme, complete with a results framework and a monitoring, evaluation and research plan;
- Draft, and finalise after comments, an internal UNICEF programme risk management plan to ensure the necessary UNICEF oversight to maximize the chances of achieving the results in the programme document;
- Throughout the consultancy duration, produce high-level advocacy briefing notes to facilitate consultations by senior management with senior ministry and donor community officials.
- Report on the desk review, selected interviews, and the field visit consultations outlining major finding relevant for design of the programme document.
- Concept note, for discussion, outlining basic components of the proposed programme document.
- Social Accountability programme document which is actionable by national implementing partners (MoH at national, provincial, district, ward and village level).
- Programme monitoring, evaluation and research plan; and results framework to facilitate programme management during the implementation phase (2018-2021).
- A draft internal UNICEF programme risk management plan.
- High-level advocacy briefing notes.
- Progress reports outlining activities, progress towards deliverables, constraints and support needed from UNICEF to address bottlenecks.
- Fees will be paid per output as per the agreed rates.
- Fees will be paid in US$, on submission of an invoice and acceptance of delivered services
- The Consultant will be required to sign the necessary health statements for consultant/individual contractors prior to taking up the assignments and to document that they have appropriate health insurance
Qualifications Of Successful CandidateEducation
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, public administration service, economics, law or Social Sciences, or related field;
Years Of Relevant Experience
- At least ten years of relevant experience (public participation; social accountability frameworks; systems development; capacity development; community participation; facilitating community dialogue; health sector governance);
Additional Knowledge Required
- Strong track record of working with multiple stakeholders (including governments, civil society organizations, grassroots organizations, UN agencies, donors etc.);
- Familiarity with social accountability programming in a developing country context;
- Knowledge in programming in health sector and in particular in RMNCAH&N desirable;
- Experience in supporting partners in conceptualizing and designing national social sector programmes;
- Excellent communication skills (writing of documents for senior-level audience; fluency in English);
- Familiarity with programming in Zambia will be an asset;
- Experience in qualitative research in programming an asset.
Competencies of Successful CandidateTo view our competency framework, please click here .Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.