Save the Children Job Opportunity in Zambia: Finance Assistant – Accounting and Treasury
- Company: Save the Children
- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Zambia
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Zambia CO, Finance Team
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
POST TYPE: National
ChildSafeguarding Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Finance Assistant is responsible for providing assistance with incoming and outgoing financial transactions. The responsibilities also include maintaining bank as well as cash books, daily reconciliations, consolidating approved documentation (Receipts, Bank transactions, Vouchers, GRN, etc…), preparing vouchers, recording transactions according to SCI guidelines, filing and assisting during month end closure and audits.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: Volunteers (whenever available)
Budget responsibility: none
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of Finance Team, contribute to:
- Check bills, invoices, and other supporting documents before payments to ensure the completeness of the documents, approval with clear and specific charging notes.
- Prepare Payment vouchers (PVA), Cash Receipts (CR), Cash Transfers (CT); General Journal vouchers – JVs on daily basis.
- Responsible for Bookkeeping and ensure all daily transactions has been booked on FMS- Agresso/Glacos.
- Writing the checks and maintenance of the bank books on a daily basis to ensure all outstanding checks are accounted for.
- Prepare bank reconciliations to ensure the balances are accurate and all the payments in the bank statements are accounted for.
- Handle all authorized petty cash payments
- Prepare daily cash count to ensure the cash balance is accurate and providing the daily report to the Director of Office.
- Provide cash advances to program and admin staff and working to settle procurement, training and travel expenses. Ensure proper budget coding approvals from the authorized person and deliver the checks to concerned parties on timely basis.
- Assist in preparation of monthly salary payroll for SCI staff, salary charging sheets including tax and social Security.
- Maintain finance documents in an orderly and secure manner.
- Keep the confidentially of financial information including budget, bank balance and cash.
- Assist during year end as well as grant specific audits.
- Any other related tasks as requested by Supervisor.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
In case of emergency, contribute to finance services.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Accountancy/studies related to Accounting or any other similar
- ZICA Licentiate, ACCA II, CIMA II would be considered as an advantage,
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant work experience,
- Must be a paid member of ZICA;
- Good sense of responsibility.
- Excellent organizational & communications skills
- Good proficiency in spoken and written English
- Good computer skills especially in spreadsheet & data analysis (excel & access) and familiarity with accounting software is preferred. Knowledge of Agresso would be an advantage.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Contract – Full-Time
Closing date: Sunday 14 January 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified