The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Latest Job Vacancy in Zambia
Position: Policy Advisor For Agriculture and Nutrition
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In 2014 BMZ has initiated the special initiative “ONE WORLD – NO HUNGER” (SEWOH) aimed at reducing hunger and malnutrition in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Zambia, the GIZ projects of the SEWOH initiative are clustered under the heading of the Agriculture and Food Security programme (AgriFood). More than 130,000 beneficiaries will profit from the program until 2022, which is composed by the following projects:
- The Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIC): The aim is to increase the incomes of small-scale farming enterprises in Zambia’s Eastern and Southern Provinces, boost employment and improve the regional food supply through the adoption of innovations in the agriculture and food sector. Women’s empowerment and youth development are priorities.
- Food and Nutrition Security, Enhanced Resilience (FANSER): The project aims to improve the nutritional situation of people at risk of food and nutrition insecurity, targeting women of child-bearing age and young children in Eastern Province.
- Agricultural Financing (AgFin): This project aims at improving the supply of financial services for the agricultural sector and to strengthen the demand by identifying potential business models and building the capacity of farmers to manage their farms as a business.
- Complementary to the AgFin project the GIZ global project “German contribution to implementing the InsuResilience Global Partnership (climate risk insurance)” action area 2 started working in Zambia at the end of 2016. The project aims to support the development of a sustainable weather index and agricultural insurance market in the country through the development, scaling-up, and replication of these operational business models.
The projects are implemented in close collaboration with national and local partners, from the government, private sector and civil society. The political partners are the Ministry of Agriculture and the National Food and Nutrition Commission. The focus of our interventions is also in line with national priorities and strategies such as the Second Agricultural Policy or the First Thousand Most Critical Days Programme.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop and sustain effective linkages with political partners (e.g. Ministry of Agriculture, the National Food and Nutrition Commission and the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries) and analyse relevant statistical data and information on policies and strategies with regards to agriculture, nutrition and agricultural finance
- Improve the visibility, alignment and sustainability of the GIZ interventions at the national level through the support of steering and planning processes and adequate reporting and support to the integration of GIZ activities in public monitoring systems, in particular related to nutrition
- Enhance partnerships, networking with partners and support learning events with governmental institutions at different levels
- Provide advice to partners and project staff at different levels on strategic and policy-related issues, participate in quality management, implementation and monitoring of related project activities together with selected project partners
- Support of organisational and administrative tasks related to these activities together with selected project partners
Qualifications and requirements:
- Master Degree in Agricultural/ Economics/ Agricultural Policy related studies (e.g. sociology, political science)
- At least 15 years relevant professional experience in Ministries or equivalent national governmental institutions and/or as policy advisor in a similar position. A combined experience in governmental and international institutions would be an advantage.
- The applicant must be familiar with both national and local Government modes of operation as it relates to policy formulation but also as it relates to the reality of implementation in the areas of agricultural extension or nutrition counseling
- In addition, the person should have experience in policy analysis
- Strong training background in Agricultural sciences or similar, including nutrition-sensitive agriculture
- Be familiar with the recent developments in the Agricultural sector
- Have experience in the organization of events and good networking skills
- The applicant should have experience in organizational and administrative tasks as well.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Excellent knowledge of best practices along the value chain (production, processing, post-harvest) and agri-finance
- Very good knowledge of nutrition-related as well as economic aspects of agricultural production
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and fluent oral language of at least one local language
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Able to work independent, responsible and result oriented
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – respective measures as agreed with management.
The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a full-time basis, as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CV and cover letter electronically quoting the above reference in the subject line to: [email protected] by 15:00 hours on Friday, 14th September 2018. Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application. Please note that only applicants selected for the interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]