Tropical Health and Education Trust Latest Job recruitment in Zambia
PROGRAMME MANAGER – HEALTH TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
THET is a specialist global health organization that educates, trains and supports health workers through global health partnerships, strengthening health systems and enabling people in low and middle income countries to access essential healthcare. THET takes an integrated approach to Human Resources for Health and works at three levels:
- Individual – working with health workers
- Organizational – working with Civil society organizations, health training institutions, and others
- Institutional – working with Government and regulatory bodies
THET runs large Health systems and Health workforce capacity development programmes in Zambia ,Somaliland and Tanzania, and,under the Health Partnership Scheme, provides training, advice and grant support to more than 200 UK and overseas hospitals, universities and professional associations working in partnership across 29 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
THET has been working in Zambia since 2009, focusing on a number of its most urgent health needs through quality improvement, and strengthening the medical education available to health care professionals, including working in collaboration with the Ministry of Health to develop Masters of Medicine programmes in Anaesthesia, Pathology and Psychiatry, as well as developing the first pre-service training programme for medical equipment maintenance professionals, and the first BSc and MSc in Human Nutrition available in Zambia.
For more information about THET, please visit, www.thet.org
Job Title: Programme Manager – Health Technology Management Improvement project
Lusaka, Zambia with national travel
Contract type: Fixed term -3 years depending on continued funding
Reports to the Country Director
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Programme Manager –Health Technology Management Improvement project will be responsible for managing the Health Technology Management Improvement project which will support the placements of Biomedical Equipment Technologists (BMETs) in multiple district and provincial level hospitals across six provinces to increase the uptime of medical equipment. Implemented in 2017 the first phase of this project saw an increase in medical equipment uptime from 74% to 93% in hospitals with supported BMETs, we are now rolling the project out to new facilities.
The programme manager will ensure the high quality delivery of the Health Technology Management Improvement project on time and to budget. He/She will lead on the quality implementation of the programme and will take a lead in new programme development and resource mobilization for the continuation of the programme. He/She will support all monitoring, evaluation and learning activities and develop and maintain systems to collect, analyze information on inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact of the Health Technology Management Improvement project.
Main duties and responsibilities
Specific tasks of the Programme Manager will be as follows;
- Manage the planning and timely implementation of programme activities to ensure high quality delivery.
- Managing budgets and providing timely and accurate financial reports to donors and THET HQ I London as well as monitoring expenditure against budget.
- Facilitate excellent coordination of programme activities, planning, and dissemination between internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead on recruitment to key voluntary and consultant posts for the successful delivery of the programme, including finalizing job descriptions, interviewing and selecting.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with relevant partners in Government, including the Ministry of Health, health facilities, training institutions, NGOs and donor organizations.
- Arrange, support and contribute to relevant meetings and workshops to further the goals of the programme.
- Attend and contribute to both external and internal meetings/workshops where appropriate.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an overall advocacy strategy related to the programme’s goals and outcomes.
- Ensure quality of programme interventions and the seeking of relevant advice from partners and contacts
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting to donors and stakeholders on programme activities, outcomes, and impact.
- Responsible for communicating monitoring, evaluation and learning strategies and activities with partners.
- Provide support to the Country Director as and when necessary
- Represent THET externally as necessary and relevant.
- Any other duties as required and directed by the Country Director
Person Specification Essential Desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- A Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Proven project management experience is mandatory, along with preparing and managing budgets and donor contracts, high-level stakeholder engagement and writing donor reports.
- Experience in programme development, including donor tracking, proposal/ project development.
- Good financial / numeracy skills, including experience of budget preparation/ tracking.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and/or research.
- Experience in preparing and delivering written and verbal communications to a range of audiences
- Experience in team working – able to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience in developing systems/ tools to support programme management (or aspects of it)
- Provide logistical support for the organization as required
- Understanding of International Development and Global health issues.
- Knowledge of project management and the project cycle.
- Awareness of Monitoring and Evaluation principles
- Knowledge of Health Technology Management
- Knowledge of donor trends and interests
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with the UK and overseas partners as well as senior staff from diverse organisations.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office software (word processing and spreadsheets), SPSS
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage competing deadlines.
- Team player able to work independently when required and to manage a diverse and heavy workload
- Strong commitment to THET’s cause and values
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Intercultural sensitivity and awareness
- Willingness to work in travel to rural areas.
Direct Reports Programme Support Officer, Uptime consultant
Working Relationships and Accountability The Programme Manager will report directly to the Country Director. The Programme Manager will line manage a Programme Support Officer and will ensure appropriate support is provided, as well as working closely with both the Finance team both in Zambia and London offices. They will be responsible for supporting the placements of Biomedical Equipment Technologists (BMETs) in district level hospitals across six provinces to increase the up-time of medical equipment.
THET is an equal opportunity employer and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter of not more than 1 page and a CV of not more that 3 pages with 3 traceable references to [email protected] by 2nd November 2018.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]