Youth & Women Initiative Job Vacancy in Zambia: Resource Mobilization Specialist
- Company: Youth & Women Initiative
- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Zambia
The Resource Mobilization Specialist is responsible for building an increasingly, diversified network of supporters, including institutional, banking, corporate, academia, policy-makers, donors/partners as well as other philanthropic institutions/individuals who believe in the work of Youth & Women Initiative Zambia and provide funds, technical support and other forms of collaboration to meet the current and future needs of the organisation.
The post holder will also be responsible for establishing and promoting the brand of YOWIZ in Zambia and abroad, raising awareness about the organisation’s work at various fora and ensuring transparent information sharing with the public. He/she will be a strategic thinker with strong understanding of various media sources and the development sector.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring fundraising strategies, that includes yearly targets to meet the costs of the current and future programmes;
- Approaching and raising funds from companies, trusts, partners/donors, Banks and foundations within Zambia and abroad;
- Conducting research on potential donors/partners such as trusts, foundations, companies and high net worth individuals, etc., finding a match with partners whose philanthropic or funding criteria match the organisation’s, or its partners vision and activities;
- Developing, managing and updating Friends of YOWIZ databases to record their contacts and preference information; Maintaining a network of corporate contacts and effectively managing and maximizing these relationships;
- Facilitating co-financing opportunities for partner organisations;
- Developing annual work plans based on the approved strategy and if needed, preparing income and expenditure budgets for each fundraising initiatives;
- Raising awareness of Youth & Women Initiative Zambia and its work at the County and National levels;
- Developing and coordinating web-based fundraising, if needed;
- Being well versed with the Youth & Women Initiative Zambia policies in general and having access to various corporate forums; Being current and up to date with legal issues affecting corporate fundraising;
- Assisting in the preparation of project proposals for corporate and other funding agencies;
- Organizing events for partnership building between implementers and potential partners;
- Ensuring all partners receive appropriate and timely reports and updates;
- Sensitizing and training team members on fund raising and communications skills and strategy.
B. Communications and Outreach:
- Planning and designing internal and external strategies for communications and outreach; Facilitating the development/ production of communication, information and knowledge sharing materials/ instruments;
- Producing communication materials in support of fund-raising such as brochures, appeals, newsletters and annual reports;
- Working closely with the Programmes Manager to identify priority themes and develop advocacy messages, press briefings, news features, case studies and other communication materials for dissemination through various media;
- Developing all media, publicity, marketing and fundraising messages and the communication material around them;
- Helping with integrating advocacy, communication and outreach strategy into project proposals based on the developed communication strategy
- Helping organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions, as needed;
- Searching and identifying reference materials for the information database and audio-visual library.
C. Partner Communication:
- Ensuring timely, appropriate and quality communication to all partners and Friends of YOWIZ;
- Monitoring and evaluating partners’ communications on a regular basis;
- Briefing the CEO and Programmes Manager on partner-specific communication;
- Developing strategies for communicating with different kinds of partners;
- Growing one-time partners into repeat partners and into long-term supporters by constantly finding ways to increase their engagement with the organisation’s work.
- Anchoring elaboration of strategies and plans for publications;
- Contributing to the identification of storylines and cases for publications and articles; Also contributing to debates on development issues relevant to Youth & Women Initiative Zambia;
- Mandating and overseeing documentation and case study development;
- Coordinating the translation/ adaptation/ rewriting of information received; Printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Promoting and disseminating Youth & Women Initiative Zambia advocacy materials for launching key initiatives and publications;
- Responding timely and effectively to inquiries for public information materials;
E. Websites, Databases and Knowledge Management Systems:
- Ensuring maintenance of the office website;
- Contributing to and overseeing the design of YOWIZ website;
- Preparing/ checking the content of the website, ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Ensuring the development and maintenance of office databases and knowledge systems;
- Assisting in the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned, directly linked to YOWIZ goals and activities;
- Providing sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice, including corporate communication repositories, as requested.
F. Senior Management Responsibilities:
- Serving as a member of the senior management team of the organisation;
- Participating in discussions of policy and sharing fully in the work of the organisation, as a member of the management team;
- Tracking and keeping well-informed about programme activities, information and statistics of the organisation
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Development, Development Studies, Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Public Administration and Business Administration OR
- Post Graduate Degree in any field from a reputable institution, with substantial experience in fund raising, public relations, as well as in managing communications for a large organisation.
- Minimum five years of demonstrated experience in developing fundraising strategy and institutional fundraising;
- Prior experience/ understanding of the development sector, is essential;
- Applicants with prior experience of working with Civil Society, private sector, NGOs and philanthropic organisations shall be at advantage;
- In-depth exposure to the use of various media platforms such as print, electronic/ online, and social media, for communication and brand building is desirable;
- Experience in grants management, monitoring, assessments and reviews, is desirable;
Skills and Competencies:
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards;
- Strong skills and orientation to communication, networking, public relations and advocacy;
- Proven ability in developing and maintaining close relationships with multi-level stakeholders and partners.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills;
- Good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Strong team player, with the ability to work in a collaborative and consultative manner;
- Core competencies: communication, working with people and drive for results.
- Functional competencies: negotiator with experience in the areas of management and resource mobilization and strong skills in leading and supervising, relating and networking, persuading and influencing, creativity and innovativeness and entrepreneurial thinking.
- Excellent leadership, management and team building skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple priorities.
- Proven skills in information, communication, networking, advocacy and ability to relate with mass media.
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with private sector, corporate institutions and partners.
- Current knowledge of development issues, strategies as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas as well as to impart knowledge and teaching skills
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organisation.
How to Apply
All applications to be sent to [email protected].
Application closes on February 20, 2018.